These words are enough to make you blush. “Inspire and Influence”. Me? But you know what? You better step up and inspire your employees and influence your company and customers like your life depended on it. Because it does, in a big way.
With this new release of kPoint, we want to give you specific suggestions about the roles you and your colleagues play in your organizations. These suggestions are about how to use Enterprise Video to dramatically improve communicating and sharing your knowledge.
In this blog, we speak to you, an Executive Leader. A member of the “C” Suite.
You already are a great communicator. You have successfully conveyed your vision to your employees who have followed you and worked hard, clients, customers, and investors who first believed in your promise and then stayed loyal to you.
You have also been open to new ideas. Today we want you to try two ideas about using Enterprise Video.
And after you read this blog, we will ask you to do something that will bump up your engagement with your employees a notch or two. And put a smile on a few faces. Ask your IT person to standby to help.
Inspire. Like we said before, it’s enough to make one blush thinking of being this God-like figure that motivates people. We are not proposing you become Divine just yet. Instead, tell them what inspires YOU. Get them to drink from the same fountain that gets you energized, wakes you up, and makes you confident about your ability to move mountains. Share videos you learned from and inspired you. Get others to do the same. Your employees will come to understand what moves you and the values to which you are grounded.
Leaders have used video and film to inspire since the technology became available. Here are a few that get our blood pumping and brighten the spark in our eyes and plump up our bushy tail!
- The black and white video with its crackling sound and ceiling fans in Parliament is burnt into all our subconscious. Prime Minister Nehru’s “Tryst with Destiny” speech. Perhaps you wonder when India shall “Wholly and in Full Measure” and not just “Substantially” redeem its pledge with Destiny.
- Apple’s Steve Jobs in a Stanford Commencement address reminded us how our inevitable death can help focus on how we live our life.
- Pepsico’s Indra Nooyi on the Five ”C” ‘s that have been her guiding light.
- Ex-Governor of California, Mr.Universe, and movie star, Arnold Schwarzenegger on Plan ‘B’.
The reason we shared these videos is to illustrate the power of the moving picture. You get the point. There are so many inspirational videos for a particular time and circumstance. Use them.
Here is how you can make it personal. We were half teasing before. We do believe you are a God of sorts. You are the face of your company and people look to you for guidance and leadership. Commit to often go live and address your company. During these pandemic times, it’s even more important. And it’s easier than ever. Enterprise Live Streaming is secure, and you can do it from your desk. Send messages of encouragement. Sympathy. Updates about how the company is dealing with Covid. What to expect from the future? We have blogged about Enterprise Live Streaming and its impact here. Your live streams will be auto-recorded and made available. Soon it will be your videos inspiring generations.
Influence. One of the best ways of influencing your organization is through informal communication. Regular, messaging, and nudging can gently help the organization stay the course. This avoids messy expensive corrections and hard confrontations with employees when they need to refocus.
Enterprise video is an easy way to incorporate many modes of communication in a large and dispersed organization. You can stay on message and be consistent. You can also see how people have consumed the information you put out.
We had blogged about the importance of using new ways to do things you were used to during these Covid times. “ Paying it forward” specifically addresses four ways you can do that.
- Can’t shake an employee’s hand who’s been doing a great job? Send congratulatory video messages thanking them. Share them so they know they are appreciated.
- New employees in faraway locations? A “Welcome” video or Live Streaming from you will be a great substitute.
- Focus your meetings by “Flipping them”. Make background videos for participants so you make the most of the time spent with you in realtime.
- Make videos providing strategic direction. It will add that personal endorsement when they see you articulate it.
Now! Here is what we want you to do:
Create a One-minute congratulatory video message complimenting an individual or a team. For something they have achieved: Goals, Great Teamwork, Challenges met and overcome. It should be preferably recent, from last week or the last month. Get some good light on your face, a quiet room, and you can record it on your phone or on your laptop. Post it on your Enterprise Video Platform. You’ll be able to track how it has been received. The recipients will feel appreciated. It’s a huge return for such a low investment.
Call or write to us if you need help. We have a vast amount of experience in just that. We look forward to hearing from you. Send us a link when you are done. We know it will be a fantastic addition to your arsenal of tools to communicate with your organization. Best wishes!